Start your Career today with Tridon
Radio Tower Technician – Fort McMurray
Radio Tower Technician
Who We Are
Tridon Communications has been supplying wireless communication products and services to Alberta industry since 1981. We operate three full-service shops in Fort McMurray, Edmonton and Athabasca.
We are a:
- MOTOROLA Platinum Service Centre,
- KENWOOD Authorized Dealer,
- TELUS Customer Care Centre
- APEGA certified engineering and design facility
- State of the Art CSA Certified Repair Centre in Edmonton
- Recognized as one of Canada’s Safest Employers (2014 Silver Winner).
Mission & Vision
WE will, through safety, integrity, and with excellence, lead our markets with innovative and effective communications technologies, relentless in our passion for absolute customer satisfaction.
We strive to be proclaimed the very best in fulfilling our customers’ needs.
Tridon is searching for passionate solution finders and builders who are TEAM and CUSTOMER focused. Our wireless business technicians are integral to our client satisfaction and the solutions for our clients.
- On the job training
- Highly Competitive Wages
- Company paid benefits
- 5 paid personal days per year
- Additional paid days off for Years of Service
- Opportunity to advance and grow
Relocation assistance is available for this role.
Job Summary– Tower Service Technician
Tridon Communications is currently hiring Tower Technicians for full-time employment based out of Fort McMurray, Alberta. Candidates must be willing to work out of town for different variants of time, which will include on call work. Successful candidates would be responsible to program, install, test, troubleshoot, and repair communications equipment on various tower sites. This includes and is not limited to; climbing up to 500ft, and the installation of associated hardware at height (i.e. antennas, brackets, cabling, connectors, ground kits, etc.).
Responsibilities and Duties
- Testing by means of watt meter, multimeter, antenna diagnostics, DTF, basic service monitor use, modulation, channel bandwidths and signal levels
- Install wireless communications equipment in tower relative environments. This includes stationary and portable towers.
- Basic diagnostics skills
- Radio programming
- Reading and understanding of engineering drawings/documents
- Aid Tridon Service Departments in Installation, maintenance, and repair SmartNet/SmartZone trunked radio systems, Conventional radio systems, MotoTRBO radio systems, TDM multiplexing equipment including T1 applications and wired/wireless LAN and WAN data networks
- Install, maintain, and repair PTP and PTMP systems of different brands and varieties.
- Install, maintain, and repair of broadband satellite systems
- Install, maintain, and tune antenna multi-coupler systems, duplexers and transmit combiners
- Tow, set-up, and deploy portable towers
- Build/Assemble self-supporting towers (primarily Light Duty Self Supports (LDSS))
- Basic Trunking
- PMP/PTP programming
- Site surveys
- Antenna diagnostics (preferred)
- Network cable testing, duplex operation, spectrum analysis, use of return loss bridge
- Knowledge of towers, brackets, and rigging is preferred
- Understanding/knowledge of the S37-13 standards (preferred)
- Adherence to all Safety policies and procedures
- Demonstrate professionalism & acts as ambassador of Tridon
- High School Diploma
- 2 year Diploma in an electronics related field, Wireless Systems Engineering Technology preferred.
Experience and Training
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of tower rigging experience
- 2+ Years of telecom experience
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Operator’s License or equivalent with Recent Driver’s Abstract required as condition of employment
- Ability to pass pre-access drug and alcohol testing on a regular basis
- Aerial Work Platform (OSSA accredited)
- Tower Climbing and Rescue certificate
- Confined Space Entry Training certificate (OSSA accredited)
- Fall Protection (OSSA accredited)
- Knowledge of hand and power tools, test equipment and design/fabrication techniques
The Tower Technician must be able to spend the majority of the day sitting, walking, standing, and/or climbing. They may be required to stoop, bend, kneel and squat for extended periods of time. They also may be required to carry equipment weighing up to 50lbs for short distances. Employee must also be able to carry himself, harness, tools, and primary rigging/anchor rigging up a telecommunications tower.
Job Type: Full-time